HAT Message Board

Post a reply || Back to HAT Message Board

Re: deer season

Delete this post Submitted by Ed Gallo on 17/Dec/2017 in reply to deer season posted by Lee on 15/Dec/2017

Surprisingly, we saw some sign in Walden this year for the first time in a long time. I actually killed a nice buck I was very happy with and appreciate that I got him.

As far as hunters go, I saw nobody else in the woods and barely ever cut another human track. Vermont's hunters are getting older and also hunting in other states much more than they used to. I remember when it was rare to know someone who actually did go out of state to hunt, and, when you did, they were always headed to Maine and the Golden Road.

Now, I see green license plates wherever I go to hunt. This year, I've been to Ohio and Massachusetts to hunt and saw Vermonters all over the place. I usually hunt with an outfitter in finger lakes region of NY and the camp is always full of Vermonters.

My point is, at least where I hunt, we just don't have the pressure to get the deer up and moving during the daylight hours and that makes things that much tougher.

Every year I consider giving up hunting Vermont but I just can't bring myself to do it. Hopefully, we can back off on the doe permits and stop funding all the non-game projects with sportsmen's dollars long enough to actually focus on helping the herd.

The last time the FWD did a real survey of Deer Winter Habitat in Vermont was 1986. Somebody has to explain to me how their spreadsheets can tell them what the carrying capacity of the land is if they have no idea what we have for deer yards. They have to stop looking at the deer herd as a funding source and start managing it properly. This is my opinion.

I am looking forward to the day when hunters start wanting to travel to Vermont again to hunt deer.... Ed

Replies to this post

Reply to this post

Name:

E-mail (optional):

Subject:

Insert styled text: Bold | Italic | Underlined
Disable styled text