HAT Message Board

Post a reply || Back to HAT Message Board

AR style rifles for hunting

Delete this post Submitted by Brian Ames on 20/Dec/2016

SO,I haven't checked this site in a while and see there is a desire for more involvement. I myself have nothing to complain about deer season wise as in my area the deer hunting is better now then at any time since I started hunting in 1973 (Southeast VT) But here's a topic that I haven't seen much talk about...AR style rifles for hunting. Not legal in some states but thankfully still legal here with a 5 shot magazine.
Earlier this year after several years of waffling about whether or not I would like to hunt with one I decided it was time. I've grown tired of the anti's line about them having no sporting use afield even though I know many coyote hunters use them. As I don't hunt coyote's, I wanted to be able to say that I had used one to hunt with.So I spent last winter researching a suitable deer caliber and this spring started gathering parts to build a AR15 deer rifle. When I say build I mean assemble from pre-manufactured parts. Something anyone with a work bench and a vice can do in a few hours.
I had the rifle built,tested, scoped and sighted in by mid September and was really looking forward to carrying it afield this deer season. Unfortunately/fortunately, after taking both weeks off to hunt I only had the opportunity to carry it afield for an hour and a half before putting it to its intended use.
Did it work better than my trusty bolt action? No. Did it add an additional level of excitement and anticipation to deer season? Absolutely!
I had a slightly negative feedback from a fellow hunter about the platforms suitability for hunting from a politically corrective perspective and was surprised, so I decided to put it out here. Thoughts? Opinions?
Brian Ames

Replies to this post

Reply to this post

Name:

E-mail (optional):

Subject:

Insert styled text: Bold | Italic | Underlined
Disable styled text